Original life insurance policy document lost? know what to do


Original life insurance policy document lost? know what to do

Photo: iStock

Receiving a life insurance claim is easy if you have all the relevant documents. All you have to do is contact the company to make a claim and submit the necessary documents. However, it becomes tedious if you do not have any of the relevant documents in your possession. Sometimes insureds lose or misplace the documents necessary for the claim.

What should an insured do if he loses the original insurance document?

Inform your insurer immediately

When you lose the original bond on your life insurance policy, you should notify your insurer as soon as possible. You can also get in touch with your agent from whom the policy was purchased. An application for issuance of a duplicate insurance policy must be submitted along with a copy of the FIR, advertisement and bond.

Post an ad

Often, insurers insist on publishing an announcement in a daily newspaper about the loss of an insurance document. The ad must be posted in the same state where you lost the bond. You must send the copy of the published announcement to your insurance company one month after it appears in the newspaper.

File a complaint with the police

Some companies request a copy of the police complaint report for misplaced insurance policy documents. A copy of the complaint must be submitted with the request to receive a duplicate policy.

Sign a bond

In most cases, you must sign an indemnity bond on non-court stamped paper if you lose the original insurance bond. The bond protects your insurer from any loss that may be caused by misuse of the original document. It also states that if you find the original policy document, you will return it to your insurer.

Once done, your insurance company after checking all the documents will issue a copy of your bond. The word “Duplicate” would be displayed prominently on the document. Check the details of the duplicate document and immediately report any discrepancies to your insurer.


About Author

Comments are closed.